Breakdown Assistance Cover
Under the terms, conditions and exclusions of this policy for breakdown assistance cover we will arrange for your vehicle to be taken to the nearest repairer, secure premises or if nearer, your home. This service is provided throughout Ireland and the United Kingdom. In the event that your vehicle is immobilised as a result of electrical or mechanical breakdown or accident (including fire or malicious damage) please contact our Helpline on the numbers below as soon as possible.
Republic of Ireland Roadside Assistance - 01 804 4328
United Kingdom Roadside Assistance - 028 9048 5219
Please note that if you should engage the services of any recovery operator prior to making contact with the Helpline any costs that you incur are not covered by this policy.
Home Start Assistance
If your vehicle breaks down we will send somebody to assist you. Up to one hour's free labour will be provided, in SITU, if on the spot repairs can be made.
If your vehicle cannot be repaired, we will tow it to the nearest repairer or to your own garage, if closer.
If your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident away from home, we will send somebody to assist you.
We will provide up to one hour's free labour at the roadside, however, if your vehicle cannot be repaired on the spot, we will tow the car to the nearest repairer, recovery yard or your home, if closer.
If you suffer a puncture whilst driving we will assist with the replacement of your wheel, provided you have a suitable replacement available with the vehicle.
If your keys are lost or locked in the vehicle, we will take your car to the nearest secure premises whilst endeavours are made to access the vehicle or obtain alternative keys.
In the event your vehicle is immobilised due to a fuel shortage, or the wrong fuel is used, we will transport your vehicle to the nearest petrol station or garage to remedy the cause.
Mainland European Emergency Cover - Cash Benefit
In the event your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident in Mainland Europe the police, when contacted, will usually arrange for a suitable recovery agent to assist you. You will usually be asked to settle the bill at the time of the recovery. To avail of the benefits under this section, retain the invoice and forward same together with a brief description of the incident to MIS Claims.
The maximum we will pay under this section is £250
We will relay up to two urgent messages to worried friends, relatives or employers following any unforeseen delay.
Additional Rescue Cover
If your car cannot be repaired within a reasonable period of time, we will provide either of the following additional benefits:
- A replacement vehicle for up to 48 hours subject to availability
- Overnight accomodation i.e. the cost of overnight accommodation including breakfast in a local hotel whilst you wait for the repairs to be completed. The incident must have occurred more than 60 miles from your home.
This additional cover extends to the UK and ROI and the maximum we will pay in providing these additional benefits is £175. If you are required to settle a hotel account, please retain the receipt and forward to the Claims Department at MIS Claims on your return. MIS will only be responsible for the cost of the accommodation including breakfast. Any other meals, drinks or other costs will be the responsibility of the client.
These aspects of cover are only provided following a mechanical or electrical breakdown.
Breakdown Exclusions and Conditions
- MIS shall not be liable for any liability or direct loss arising from any act performed in the execution of the assistance provided.
- MIS shall not be liable to pay for expenses which are recoverable from any other source.
- MIS shall not be liable for any accident or breakdown brought about by any avoidable, wilful and deliberate act comitted by the insured.
- MIS shall not be liable for the cost of repairing the car.
- MIS shall not be liable for the cost of any parts, keys, lubricants, fluids or fuel required to restore a vehicle's mobility.
- MIS shall not be liable for any claims caused by fuels, mineral essences or other flammable materials, explosives or toxins transported in the car.
- No benefit shall be payable unless Motorists Insurance Services Ltd (MIS Breakdown) has been notified and has authorised assistance through the medium of the emergency telephone number provided.
- Territorial limits of cover are the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Great Britain.
- The benefits of this cover will be subject to a maximum of three assists per annum. MIS breakdown will not be responsible where it is asked to provide the service for a fault that was dealt with in the preceding 28 days, excluding punctures.
- The service will only be provided if the vehicle was in a roadworthy condition prior to the incident.
- We will endeavour to provide all the benefits associated with this cover, however, all the options may not be available to us at the time of the breakdown.
- At all times we will retain the discretion to provide assistance outside the terms of this cover and dependent upon circumstances.
- Replacement cars are subject to normal commercial hire criteria. These criteria may include the requirement of a full drivers license without endorsements, a cash or credit card deposit. This criteria is not exclusive and may change from time to time. It is also a condition of car hire that the car can be returned to the pick up point.
- The driver must be with the vehicle when the recovery agent is tasked, if they are absent any subsequent assistance will be at the drivers own cost.
- We may refuse assistance in circumstances where a driver is clearly intoxicated or the vehicle is in an inaccessible off road location.
- No benefit shall be payable if the vehicle does not hold a valid NCT or MOT certificate when required to do so.
- Breakdown assistance will not be provided if the vehicle is already at a place of repair.
- MIS will not assist where a vehicle is immobile due to snow or ice.
- Vehicles eligible for assistance will be restricted to private cars, private cars modified for commercial use and commercial vehicles up to a fully laden weight of 3.5 tonnes.
The Financial Services Authority does not regulate the breakdown assistance cover. However should you wish to make a complaint about our services, we have a formal complaints procedure. In the first instance you may contact us in writing or by phone. Please address your complaint to:
The Managing Director, Motorists Insurance Services Limited, Beechwood House, 37 Comber Road, Dundonald, BT16 2AA. Tel: 028 90 418401